Prof. Andrew Wallace
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences; Sensors,Signals & Systems
- Room 3.18
Earl Mountbatten Building
- School of Engineering & Physical Sciences; Sensors,Signals & Systems
- Heriot-Watt University
- EH14 4AS
- United Kingdom
Roles and responsibilities
My interests are in Signal Processing and Image Analysis. My principal areas of current interest include
• 3D imaging and interpretation, especially using LiDAR systems
• Video analytics, including human and vehicle tracking, behavioural analysis and human robot communication
• Embedded and parallel software implementations of signal and image processing algorithms
This work is supported by current funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council and the European Community Factories of the Future programme. Particular highlights include the development of Bayesian techniques to interpret remotely sensed, multi-spectral LiDAR data to monitor forest dynamics as an aid to building models of climate change. We are also engaged in several projects to monitor the movement of human and other actors from sensor networks. This includes fixed CCTV networks, in which video data is analysed for both movement and behaviour. From mobile vehicles, we aim to build models of situational awareness using other technologies, such as LiDAR and polarimetric infrared imagery. This feeds into both driver assistance and vehicle autonomy. Finally, we are aware that the complexity of modern signal and image processing algorithms demands accelerated processing. Therefore, we are engaged in projects to both deliver new types of image processor, but also to develop parallel algorithms for heterogeneous architectures with multicore CPU, GPU and FPGA components.
• GS Buller and AM Wallace, “Ranging and Three-Dimensional Imaging Using Time-Correlated Single-Photon Counting and Point-by-Point Acquisition”, invited paper, IEEE Journal Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, 13(4), 1006-1015, August, 2007
• S. Hernandez-Marin, A. M. Wallace and G. J. Gibson, “Bayesian analysis of lidar signals with multiple returns”, IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 29(12), 2170-2180, 2007.
• S. Xu and A.M. Wallace, “Recovering surface reflectance and multiple light locations and intensities from image data” Pattern Recognition Letters, 29(11), pp1639-1647, 2008.
• S. Matzka, Y.R. Petillot and A.M Wallace, A.M., “Proactive sensor-resource allocation using optical sensor”, VDI Berichte, 2038, pp159-168, 2008.
• S. Hernandez-Marin, A. M. Wallace and G. J. Gibson, “Multilayered 3D LiDAR image construction using spatial models in a Bayesian framework”, IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 30(6), pp1028-1040 2008.
• Nayak, E. Trucco, A Ahmed and AM Wallace “SimBIL: Appearance-based simulation of burst-illumination laser sequences”, IET Proceedings on Image processing, 2(3), pp165-174, 2008.
• H. Zhou, A.M. Wallace and P.R. Green, Efficient tracking and ego-motion recovery using gait analysis”, Signal Processing Review, 89(12), 2367-2384, April 2009.
• H. Zhou, P.R. Green and A.M. Wallace, “Estimation of epipolar geometry by linear mixed-effects modelling”, NeuroComputing, Volume 72, 16-18, Pages 3881-3890, 2009.
• Huiyu Zhou, Andrew M. Wallace and Patrick R. Green, “Obstacle Detection using Cross-ratio and Disparity Velocity” Advanced Information and Knowledge Processing 117-141, DOI: 10.1007/978-1-84996-329-9_6, 2010.
• Aongus McCarthy, Robert J. Collins, Nils J. Krichel, Verónica Fernández, Andrew M. Wallace and Gerald S. Buller, “Long-range time-of-flight scanning sensor based on high-speed time-correlated single-photon counting”, Applied Optics, Vol. 48, Issue 32, pp. 6241-6251, 2010.
• Andrew M. Wallace, Jing Ye, Nils J. Krichel, Aongus McCarthy, Robert J. Collins and Gerald S. Buller, “Full Waveform Analysis for Long-range 3D Imaging Laser Radar”, EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Article ID 896708, 12 pages doi:10.1155/2010/896708, 2010.
• Z.L. Husz, A.M. Wallace and P.R. Green, Behavioural Analysis with Movement Cluster Model for Concurrent Actions, EURASIP Journal on Image and Video Processing, doi:10.1155/2011/365307, Article ID 365307, 21 pages, 2011.
• Z.L. Husz, A.M. Wallace and P.R. Green, “Tracking with a hierarchical partitioned particle filter and movement modeling”, IEEE Trans on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 41(6), pp1571 - 1584, 2011.
• S Matzka, AM Wallace and YR Petillot, "Efficient Resource Allocation for Automotive Attentive Vision Systems", IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 2012, 1392, 859-872, 2012.
• AM Wallace, CN Nichol and IH Woodhouse, “Recovery of Forest Canopy Parameters by Inversion of Multispectral Lidar Data”, Remote Sensing 4(2), 509-531, 2012.
• J Ye, AM Wallace A Al Zain and J Thompson, Parallel Bayesian Inference of Range and Reflectance from LaDAR Profiles, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 73(4), 383–399, 2013.
• W. Limprasert, A.M. Wallace and G. Michaelson. “Real-time people tracking in a camera network”, IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems, in press.