Dr Beth Watts
School of the Built Environment
- Room 2.29B William Arrol Building
Roles and responsibilities
- Homelessness and housing exclusion
- Political and moral philosophy and their applications in social policy
- Comparative social policy
- Qualitative research methods
- Comparative qualitative research methods
- Sanctions, support and behaviour change: understanding the role and impact of welfare conditionality, ESRC, 2013-18
- The Homelessness Monitor, Crisis, 2011-2015
- Legal rights to housing for homeless people: A normative comparison of Scotland Ireland, ESRC funded PhD (University of York), 2009-2013
Bengtsson, B., Fitzpatrick, S. and Watts, B. (2012) Rights, Citizenship and Shelter, in: S. J. Smith (Ed.) The International Encyclopaedia of Housing and Home, pp 148-157, London: Elsevier.
Fitzpatrick, S., Johnsen, S. and Watts, B. (2012) International Homelessness Policy Review: A report to inform the review of homelessness legislation in Wales, Cardiff: University of Cardiff.
Fitzpatrick, S. and Watts, B. (2010) ‘The Right to Housing’ for Homeless People, in: E. O’Sullivan, V. Busch-Geertsema, D. Quilgars and N. Pleace (ed.) Homeless Research in Europe, pp. 105-122, Brussels: Feantsa.
2013-Present: Research Associate, Institute for Housing Urban and Real Estate Research, School of the Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University
2012: Researcher/ESRC placement, Localism and Big Society team, Department for Communities and Local Government
2009-2013: PhD Social Policy, University of York 2008-2009: Research Associate, The Young Foundation
2007-8: Researcher, Joseph Rowntree Foundation 2006-7: MRes Social Policy, University of York
2006: Researcher, Shelter