Learning Enhancement and Development Skills (LEADS) is designed to contribute to the first stage of an academic career. The Programme offers students the option of applying for Associate Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (AHEA).
The recently revised LEADS programme aligns with the UK Professional Standards Framework for Higher Education and the University’s new Learning and Teaching Strategy. The entire Programme runs over 10 sessions to achieve Heriot-Watt University Teacher Status, with Tutor and Marker Status obtained at the end of Session 8.
Heriot-Watt University prides itself on the quality of its students’ learning experience. The LEADS Programme will support you to:
• Plan a successful teaching episode that engages students
• Take account of intercultural & transcultural learning and teaching in your interactions with undergraduate and postgraduate students
• Take account of disability and be able to use UK and Heriot-Watt University policies and procedures to give all students the best possible support for learning and assessment
• Assess student learning, so that you know if the support you have offered has been effective
• Evaluate and give a critically reflective account of your teaching
• Plan the next steps in developing your teaching as part of your academic career
Who is it for?
Completion of this Programme is a requirement for all Heriot-Watt University research students who have a teaching responsibility.
How to apply
Please apply using our on-line booking system PDMS. Please note that full attendance is compulsory to achieve Tutor, Marker or Teacher status.