Heriot-Watt University Research Park
From its foundation in 1821, Heriot-Watt University has been committed to recognising the needs of industry and commerce, while maintaining the highest academic standards. Its commitment to these aims is the basis of its reputation as one of the leading institutions in the fields of science and technology in the UK.
During the 1960s, the rapidly expanding University decided to move from its location in the centre of the City of Edinburgh to a new green belt site on its western boundary where it would have room to grow.
The University wished to use these assets to initiate new methods of transferring information and technology to the growing number of science-based companies in this area. In particular, it was considered important to address the needs of research-based organisations requiring close and continuing collaboration with the academic research staff. Thus, the University's initiative has taken three inter-related forms which can be used in a combination which best suits the company involved:
- University departments and individual staff members make their resources and services available to industry on a professional basis.
- Technology Transfer Institutes in a range of disciplines have been established by the University and are exclusively devoted to co-operation with industry. These Institutes are self-financing and operate on a professional basis.
- The Research Park, where companies may establish their activities within the University campus, thus enabling them to make maximum use of the services and facilities offered by the University, while retaining full control over the security and confidentiality of their operations.