Heriot-Watt athletes among scholarship Olympic hopefulsDate:
Heriot-Watt students are among Scottish Olympic and Paralympic hopefuls selected for national sports scholarships under the Winning Students scheme for the 2011-12 academic year.
The athletes are:
- hockey competitor, Fraser Sands (2nd year BSc Actuarial Mathematics & Statistics),
- judo competitor, Stephanie Inglis (4th year MA Management)
- squash competitor, Ewen Urquhart (1st year BEng Structural Engineering with Architectural Design),
- swimming competitor, Kathryn Johnstone (2nd year BSc Sports & Exercise Science)
- swimming competitor, Craig McNally (1st year MA Accountancy & Finance)
- women’s football competitor, Hayley Lauder (3rd year BSc Sports & Exercise Science)
- karate competitor, Calum Robb (PhD Marine Biology)
Kathryn Johnstone competing for Scotland
Winning Students provides sports scholarships up to £5,500 each year, which students can put towards sporting costs and academic-related expenses, while the programme also ensures the student receives the necessary academic flexibility enabling them to perform in both their sport and their studies.
Athletes are identified and nominated through partnership with nine governing bodies and the sportscotland institute of sport, while further individual scholarships are offered to students competing in other sports.
Winning Students Programme Co-ordinator Jason Atkins said: “Some of the most talented young athletes are currently combining their sport with study and the Winning Students scholarships recognise this. I am delighted the programme is able to support so many athletes and wish them every success in the years to come.”
For up-to-date information on the scholarships and athlete profiles, visit the Winning Students website.