Heriot-Watt is the Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2012-2013Date:
Heriot-Watt University has come top in the UK for student experience and has been named Scottish University of the Year – the same week as being voted by students as best university in Scotland.
The National Student Survey (NSS) 2012 has revealed the University’s meteoric rise in clinching Number 1 university in Scotland (up from Number 3 last year) and Number 4 university in UK (up from Number 29 last year).
Also released this week, The Sunday Times University Guide 2013 names Heriot-Watt as Scottish University of the Year for the second year running - and it also becomes the UK University of the Year for student experience.
Principal and Vice-Chancellor, Professor Steve Chapman, said, “Being Scottish University of the Year, Number 1 in UK for student experience and voted Number 1 in Scotland by students is a fantastic hat-trick.
“At Heriot-Watt, we put great effort into exceptional student experience by striving to consistently deliver excellent facilities, teaching, and support services.
“These positive results represent a real strength of feeling among our students and real professionalism on the part of the staff.”
Mike Ross, President of Heriot-Watt University Student Union, said “These results represent the excellent work that has been done by students and staff working together to enhance the student experience.”
The Sunday Times University Guide 2013
• Scottish University of the Year 2012/13, for the second year running
• UK University of the Year for student experience
• Number 9 in the UK overall
National Student Survey 2012
• Number 1 in Scotland (up from Number 3 last year) (based on responses from full-time degree students (excluding part-time and non-degree students) and “agree” responses across all 22 questions of NSS)
• Number 4 in UK universities (up from Number 29 last year)
• In the Top 10 for graduate employment in the UK - over 94% of graduates in employment or further study within six months of graduation
• Top in UK for Chemical Engineering, Psychology and Planning
Heriot-Watt University specialises in subjects across science, technology, engineering, business and design, with a particular focus on developing solutions to critical global issues, such as climate change and energy. It is ranked in the top 5% of universities worldwide. Established in 1821, it has campuses in Edinburgh, the Scottish Borders, Orkney and Dubai, and is investing £35 million in a new campus in Malaysia.
Media can contact Esther Black at Pagoda PR for further information, and to arrange interviews with staff, students or the Principal. Call 0131 556 0770 / 07584 474 232 or email Esther.Black@pagodapr.com or Julie.Watt@pagodapr.com.