Heriot-Watt Industry Day: Risk & Opportunities
- Date: , 08:00–19:30
- Venue: Edinburgh Conference Centre, Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh Campus, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS, Scotland (View on map)
The Industry Day Risk & Opportunities was held on Thursday 20 January 2011 and was the first themed cross-disciplinary industry day conference of its kind at Heriot-Watt University.
Representatives from the UK's leading climate change, environment and energy bodies joined specialists from Heriot-Watt University in a major programme to discuss how best to mitigate risk in these key areas.
Heriot-Watt is at the forefront of pioneering research to provide innovative solutions for the effective reduction and management of risk.
Presentations from the day are available to download:
Framework for excellence
- How mathematics underpins risk activity at Heriot-Watt across all disciplines: The Scottish Financial Risk Academy (SFRA) Model - Professor Alex McNeil, Director of SFRA
- Mitigating the Effects and Reducing Levels of CO2 Output - Professor Jim Skea, Research Director, UKERC
- Climate Change Issues for Business Energy Market Reform - Gordon McGregor, Energy & Environment Director, Scottish Power
- Risks and Reality: Adapting to Climate Change - Professor Paul Jowitt, Director, SISTech
- Addressing the very different risks that exist at either end of a CCS pipeline - Professor Eric MacKay, Institute of Petroleum Engineering, Heriot-Watt University
- The Perfect Storm: Risk and Buildings - Professor Sue Roaf, School of the Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University
- Reducing environmental impacts: Risks or business opportunities - David Evans, Asscoiate Director, ARUP
- Flood Risk Management - Professor Gareth Pender, Head of School of Built Environment, Heriot-Watt University
- Climate Change, Uncertainty and Risk - Professor John Mitchell, Director of Climate Science, UK Met Office (slides available soon)
- Outrage No.3 and What We Must Do About It - Professor James Curran, Director of Science & Strategy, Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) (slides available soon)
- Wave and Tidal Energy: Releasing the Potential - Dr Sandy Kerr, Institute of Petroleum Engineering, Heriot-Watt University (slides available soon)
- What’s on the Horizon: Peak or Plateau - Professor Patrick Corbett, Energy Theme Leader, Heriot-Watt University
- Understanding the impact of the new Lisbon Treaty on energy projects: Risks and opportunities for Scotland - Professor Duncan Botting, Chief Executive, Scottish European Green Energy Centre (slides available soon)
- Subsurface Uncertainty and Risk Management - Glyn Williams, Engineering Advisor, BP (slides available soon)
- The Future Energy World - Mark Mathieson, Director of Networks, Scottish & Southern Energy (slides available soon)
- Risk and Uncertainty Quantification - Professor Mike Christie, Institute of Petroleum Engineering, Heriot-Watt University (slides available soon)