- Home /
- New students /
- Edinburgh, Scottish Borders & Orkney Campus students /
- Before you arrive /
- What to bring
What to bring
Make sure to bring with you all the important documents that you'll need for your first few days on campus.
To complete your enrolment
To complete the enrolment process when you arrive on campus you must bring the following with you:
- Heriot-Watt University Person ID. You'll find this on any recent correspondence from us.
- Photographic identification, eg passport. You'll be required to show photographic identification to complete your enrolment.
- Visa. If you are an international student who is subject to immigration control, you'll need to show your visa to complete your enrolment.
- Financial responsibilities. You can scan and email your sponsor or funding letter (excluding SAAS and SLC letters) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can't do this, you should bring it with you to your enrolment.
To get your Police Registration Certificate (international students only)
If you are on a student visa with the condition "Register with the police within 7 days", then you will have to apply for a Police Registration Certificate shortly after you arrive in the UK. To get this, you need to bring the following items:
- your passport
- one recent passport sized photograph
- your offer/acceptance or student certification letter from Heriot-Watt University
- enrolment fee of £34 (cash only)
- a legibly written note of your home and UK addresses
- your sponsor letter if your fees are being covered by someone else
To collect your student loan cheque
Most students won't need to collect a student loan cheque because we will alert the Student Loans Company (SLC) and Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) to release funds into your designated bank account by BACS once you have completed enrolment.
However, for students who have been told to collect a cheque, you can collect this from:
- Edinburgh Campus: Student Support & Accommodation Office, Hugh Nisbet Building
- Scottish Borders Campus: Student Adviser, Room 1.01 High Mill
You will need to bring:
- your letter of award or Scottish Loans Company schedule of payment
- student ID