International students

As a new international student at Heriot-Watt University, you'll be joining one of the largest international student cohorts at a Scottish university.

Our International Student Advisors Office, based at the Edinburgh Campus, is here to help you with your preparation for coming to study and live in the UK. We are a small dedicated team that provides both advice and assistance on a range of subjects, including immigration advice, tuition fee enquiries, and general guidance on living and studying in the UK (council tax, bank accounts, healthcare etc).


To help you prepare, you should read the information on the International Student Advisors' Office website and in the International Student Guide, which tells you everything you need to know before you arrive in the UK.

Prepare for Success is an interactive web learning tool for international students who are getting ready to come to the UK for study in further or higher education. It contains learning resources to help you find out about different aspects of academic life in the UK and the skills needed for effective study. You can also find useful information about studying in the UK, including the University's Effective Learning Service and the Library workshops, on the ISAO website.

Orientation events for international students

We have an exciting programme of orientation events that is designed to help you settle into your new life by showing you how to you find your way about the campus and the city. From the International Student Welcome to information sessions about opening a UK bank account and about the Library, the Orientation Programme is likely to be of interest to you.

Police registration

If you are on a student visa with the condition "Register with the police within 7 days", then you will have to apply for a Police Registration Certificate shortly after you arrive in the UK.

The condition to register with the police depends on your nationality and the length of your programme, and you will only need to register if it says so on your visa. If you're unsure, you can contact us for more information.