Psychology with Management BSc (Hons)
- Duration Full-time: 4 years
- Delivery type Day
- Intake date September
- Fees 52000 AED per year
This programme balances approximately 75% Psychology with 25% Business and Management courses. Psychology courses cover a range of core approaches to psychology as well as research design and analysis and applied specialist topics. The curriculum is based on that recommended by the British Psychological Society. Business Management courses include a mixture of core management subjects and a range of optional courses, allowing students to tailor learning to their personal preferences.
The programme is suitable for students with a science or commerce background who are interested in the systematic study of cognition, mind and behaviour. Students may wish to take this knowledge into a career in industry or complete further training to become a professional psychologist.
Students are introduced to psychology from a range of perspectives and begin their studies in research methods, which will continue throughout the programme. This is complemented by an introduction to Management topics.
Psychology courses cover Social Psychology, Cognitive Psychology, Developmental Psychology, and Intelligence alongside more advanced Statistics and Research Design. Students also select one of two applied psychology pathways from the School of Management and Languages, in either Human Resources or Marketing, which will be carried into future years.
Psychology courses cover Social Cognition, Personality, Lifespan Development and Biological Psychology. These courses take an applied approach, including the discussion of relationships, health and environmental design. Students also take advanced courses in Management or Consumer Behaviour depending on their chosen pathway.
Advanced psychology courses continue the applied focus in a range of areas based on faculty expertise. Currently, this includes topics on consciousness, health, industrial psychology and psychopathology. In addition, each student undertakes a major independent project. This involves research design, data collection and analysis, and is a chance to learn in depth about a topic of the student’s own choosing. Students also take a final two courses from the School of Management and Languages, but they do not undertake a Management project.
Graduates of this Honours programme (4 years) will be well prepared for many areas of employment, including business management, human resource management, marketing and market research, teaching, counselling and coaching.
Students wishing to continue into licensed psychology professions (such as clinical, forensic, health or educational psychology) will be eligible for the relevant postgraduate training at Heriot-Watt and at other UK institutions or internationally.
Why study Psychology with Management at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai?
- Heriot-Watt School of Life Sciences is ranked as one of the leading Psychology departments in the UK.
- Heriot-Watt takes an applied focus, going beyond textbook and theory to explore real-world uses of psychology.
- Psychology graduates have sought after transferable skills in writing, research and critical evaluation.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Management graduates have career opportunities in business and psychology professions and are eligible for a broad range of postgraduate programmes across both disciplines.
First year entry
- GCE A-Level CCC (or AABB at AS-Level)
- CBSE or equivalent 70%
- American High School Diploma + SAT 1s 1500.
- UAE Tawjihiyya 80%
- International Baccalaureate 24 points or above.
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma MMM
- Foundation Year Successful completion of Heriot-Watt University Degree Entry Programme (Management / Psychology) with a BBBB.
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 70%
- Curriculum Russian/Kazakhstan (Attestat) with minimum grade of 5
Second year entry
- GCE A Levels BBB in relevant subjects
- International Baccalaureate 29 points
- CBSE 85%
- American High School + 3AP at grade 4
- American High School + SAT 1s 1800
- Higher National Diploma (HND) PPP
- BTEC Level 3 Ext Diploma DDD
- FBISE grade 12 or equivalent – 85%
- Transfer students from other universities may be considered on a case by case basis.
The Psychology programmes are assessed largely by written essay and exam, and so applicants should have a strong ability in academic writing.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 Academic (with no element below 6).