Information Technology (Software Systems) MSc / DiplomaHow to apply »
- 1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time)
- Delivery type
- Weekday evenings and Fridays
- Intake date
- September, January* (* part-time only)
The aim of both the MSc and the Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (Software Systems) is to educate software engineers. The programme is concerned with the use and application of information technology in the specification, design, development and deployment of software. Throughout the programme, you will implement software solutions to remedy practical problems and put into practice the theoretical concepts learned in lectures.
As well as studying core software engineering topics, like Java programming and UML specification of object oriented systems, you will follow a range of other courses such as Databases and Network Applications.
Why study Information Technology (Software Systems) at Heriot-Watt University's Dubai Campus?
- It is a British award that is recognised all around the world.
- We constantly update the programme material to ensure its ongoing relevance to existing professionals in the fast-paced and ever-changing world of information technology.
- It is a very flexible programme that can be taken either full-time over one year or part-time over a number of years. You have the option to transfer from full-time to part-time study if your family or work situation changes.
- It is taught in the evening and at weekends to meet the needs of working students.
- Previous students have gone on to undertake PhDs in the UK, USA, Canada and Australia.
Full-time students take four courses in Semester 1 and a further four in Semester 2. Results from these examinations determine whether students progress to an individual project of four months’ duration leading to the MSc degree..
On this programme the following taught courses are mandatory:
- Computer Network Security
- Network Applications
- Research Methods and Project Planning
Students can then choose five courses from the following:
- Database and Information Systems
- Mobile Communications and Programming
- Industrial Programming
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Digital and Knowledge Economy
- Computer Games Programming
In addition to these taught courses, students pursuing the MSc qualification undertake a Masters project, which culminates in a dissertation.
New career opportunities and prospects for career enhancement are both excellent. The continued growth in new technologies, network services, mobile applications and handheld devices in industry, commerce and the public sector is increasing the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage software systems.
The January intake is only available for the part-time programme.
Postgraduate Masters level
- Bachelors Honors degree A good first or second class Honours degree in an IT discipline or computing, or a discipline involving a substantial academic component of IT or computing.
- Postgraduate Diploma Students who attain a 50% Pass level in the Postgraduate Diploma programme will be offered the chance to complete a Master’s Dissertation to allow them to upgrade their award to an MSc.
Postgraduate Diploma level
- Bachelors degree Candidates holding less than a good Honours degree or its equivalent but who have compensating qualifications or experience may be admitted to the Postgraduate Diploma programme.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction at secondary school, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.5 (with all elements passed at 6.0 or above). Applicants who have completed secondary and tertiary education will need to provide documentary evidence. A minimum of one year full-time study in English will be required.
- AED 74000
Scholarships & bursaries
See our range of scholarships and discounts.