Information Technology (Software Systems) MSc / Diploma
- Duration 1 year (full-time) / 2 years (part-time)
- Delivery type Weekday evenings and Fridays
- Intake date September, January* (* part-time only)
- Fees 74000 AED
The aim of the MSc and Postgraduate Diploma in Information Technology (Software Systems) is to educate software engineers. The programme is concerned with the use and application of information technology in the specification, design, development and deployment of software. Throughout the programme, you will implement software solutions to remedy practical problems and put into practice the theoretical concepts learned in lectures.
As well as studying core software engineering topics, like Java programming and UML specification of object oriented systems, you will follow a range of other courses such as Databases and Network Applications.
Full-time students take four courses in Semester 1 and a further four in Semester 2. Results from these examinations determine whether students progress to an individual project of four months' duration leading to the MSc degree..
On this programme the following taught courses are mandatory:
- Network Applications
- Research Methods and Project Planning
Students can then choose six courses from the following:
- Software Engineering Foundations
- Advanced Software Engineering
- Databases and Information Systems
- Mobile Communications and Programming
- Systems Programming and Scripting
- E-Commerce Technology
- Computer Network Security
- Software Engineering Masterclass
In addition to these taught courses, students pursuing the Masters qualification undertake a Masters project.
New career prospects and opportunities for career enhancement are both excellent. The continued growth in network services and mobile handheld devices in industry, commerce and the public sector is increasing the demand for experts who can design, implement and manage systems.
Why study Information Technology (Software Systems) at Heriot-Watt University in Dubai?
- It is a British award that is recognised all around the world.
- In the fast and forever changing world of information technology we are constantly updating the programme material to ensure its relevance to existing professionals.
- It is a very flexible programme that can be taken either full-time over one year or part-time over a number years. You have the option to transfer from full-time to part-time if your family or work circumstances change.
- It is taught in the evening and at weekends to meet the needs of working students.
- Previous students have gone on to undertake PhDs in the UK, USA, Canada and Australia.
The January intake is only available for the part-time programme.
Postgraduate Masters level
- Bachelors Honors degree A good first or second class Honours degree in an IT discipline or computing, or a discipline involving a substantial academic component of IT or computing.
- Postgraduate Diploma Students who attain a 50% Pass level in the Postgraduate Diploma programme will be offered the chance to complete a Master's Dissertation to allow them to upgrade their award to an MSc.
Postgraduate Diploma level
- Bachelors degree An Ordinary degree in an IT discipline or computing or a discipline involving a substantial academic component of IT or computing.
- Higher National Diploma HND or equivalent qualification deemed suitable to third year entry of a cognate Bachelors degree, plus four years' relevant post-qualification work experience.
- Higher National Certificate HNC or equivalent qualification deemed suitable to second year entry of a cognate Bachelors degree, plus six years' relevant post-qualification work experience.
- Professional/associate membership Membership of a professional institution in a cognate discipline that normally requires a degree for entry.
English language requirements
Where English was not the medium of instruction during previous education, applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6.0.