Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables:
Times Higher Education 'Table of Tables'
THE's 'Table of Tables' is the combined results of the three main UK university league tables - the Good University Guide (published by The Times and The Sunday Times), The Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
- In the Table of Tables 2015: Heriot-Watt is placed 25th in the UK - rising from 28th the previous year
Guardian University Guide 2016
View the Guardian University league table
- Ranked 18th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland
- 2nd in UK for Civil Engineering
- 3rd in UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and Accounting and Finance
- Top 20 in the UK for: Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science & Information Systems, Business, Management and Marketing and Chemical Engineering.
National Student Survey 2014
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey which gathers honest feedback from final year undergraduates, studying full time.
- 1st in the UK for Chemical Engineering and Electrical Engineering, receiving 100% student satisfaction rating. Ranked 2nd in the UK for Economics
- At least 90% of students were satisfied overall with their course in 11 of our 17 subject areas (Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Accounting, Management, Economics, Civil Engineering, Planning, Maths & Statistics, Computer Science)
- The following subjects ranked 1st in Scotland: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Planning, Economics and Accounting.
- The following subjects ranked top ten within the UK: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Accounting, Economics, Planning and Computer Science
- On average, 82% of students said they were satisfied overall with experience at Heriot-Watt, placing it third in Scotland and 39th in the UK, out of a total of 124 institutions taking part.
All NSS data is available on the Unistats website
Times Higher Education - '100 Under 50' World University Ranking 2015
- 77th in the world, 10th the UK
- 11th in the world and first in Scotland, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
View the THE 100 under 50 universities 2015 rankings
Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015
- Overall, 41st out of 123 institutions and 5th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Chemical Engineering, General Engineering, Building, Town & Country Planning and Landscape and Food Science
- Top in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, General Engineering and Town & Country Planning and Landscape, and top 3 in Scotland for: Building, Economics, Food Science, Mechanical Engineering, Business Studies, Civil Engineering and Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
- Ranked 15th in the UK for highest starting salary within six months of graduation with our graduates starting on average of £23, 285.
View the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide league table 2015
The Complete University Guide 2016
- 37th in the UK and 4th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Building, Chemical Engineering, Town & Country Planning, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Civil Engineering.
- We are ranked in the top 25 for a further 6 subjects: Accounting & Finance, Art & Design, Business & Management Studies, Economics, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering
QS World's Top Universities
- We rank 352nd in the world and 40th in UK
- This places us in the top 4% of universities globally, based on approximately 10,000 universities in the world.
View the QS World University Rankings 2014/15
QS Top 50 under 50 2014
A ranking of the world's top 50 universities established within the last 50 years.
- 47th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland.
View the QS Top 50 under 50 2014
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015
- Top 150 worldwide for Civil and Structural Engineering
- Top 200 worldwide for Chemical Engineering and Statistics & Operational Research
- Top 300 worldwide for Mathematics and Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Top 400 worldwide for Physics
View the QS Top University Rankings by Subject 2015