Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables:
- Guardian University Guide 2015 - 13th place overall
- National Student Survey 2013 - 11th in the UK and second in Scotland
- Times Higher Education World University Ranking - 22nd in the world for 'International outlook'
- Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide - 38th in the UK and sixth in Scotland
Guardian University Guide 2015
- Ranked 13th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland
- Top in the UK for Chemistry and Civil Engineering
- Top ten in the UK for: Accounting & Finance, Building and Town & Country Planning, Business, Management & Marketing, Physics, Chemical Engineering and Mathematics
View the Guardian University league table
National Student Survey 2013
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey, which gathers opinions from final year undergraduates on the quality of their courses. The survey asks current students to provide honest feedback on what it has been like to study their course at their institution. In 2013, our full time Degree level students told us:
- 9 out of 10 students are satisfied overall with their experience at Heriot-Watt University.
- 90% overall satisfaction rate places us 11th in the UK* and 2nd in Scotland
- 1st in UK for Chemical Engineering for the fourth year running and also top in the UK for Chemistry
- Top 10 in the UK for: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, European Languages, Building, Civil Engineering and Planning
- Heriot-Watt University is 1st in Scotland for 11 out of 18 subjects: Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, European Languages, Civil Engineering, Planning and Maths & Statistics
(*) UUK Universities (ie excluding FE Colleges and specialist institutions)
Times Higher Education - '100 Under 50' World University Ranking 2014
- 52nd in the world, 7th in the UK and 1st in Scotland
- 22nd in the world, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2014
- Top 10 in the UK for Chemical Engineering, Building Town & Country Planning & Landscape, Food Science and Mathematics.
- Top in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, Building and Civil Engineering and top 3 in Scotland for Town & Country Planning & Landscape, Food Science, Mathematics, Iberian Languages, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, French, and Art & Design.
Complete University Guide 2015
- 33rd in the UK and 4th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Building, Town & Country Planning, and Art & Design.
QS World's Top Universities
- We rank 369th in the world, 42nd in UK and 7th in Scotland
- This places us in the top 4%, based on approximation of at least 10,000 universities in the world