Heriot-Watt consistently achieves high ranking across a number of key university league tables:
Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2015-16
- Ranked 5th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for industry income, based on the value of industry research income per member of academic staff.
- 46th in the world,17th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland for our international outlook, a score based on the percentage of the university's international staff, the level of international co-authorship of academic papers and the percentage of international students studying with the University.
Times Higher Education 'Table of Tables'
THE's 'Table of Tables' is the combined results of the three main UK university league tables - the Good University Guide (published by The Times and The Sunday Times), The Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
- In the Table of Tables 2015: Heriot-Watt is placed 27th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland
Guardian University Guide 2016
View the Guardian University league table
- Ranked 18th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland
- 2nd in UK for Civil Engineering
- 3rd in UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering and Accounting and Finance
- Top 20 in the UK for: Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science & Information Systems, Business, Management and Marketing and Chemical Engineering.
National Student Survey 2015
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey which gathers honest feedback from final year undergraduates, studying full time.
- 28th place in the UK and joint third in Scotland, with St Andrews
- Nearly nine out of ten (89%) of Heriot-Watt final year full time degree students are satisfied overall with their experience
- Ranked in the top ten UK universities for five subjects, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Marketing and Building, based on overall satisfaction score and/or average percentage agree
- First in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Languages, Linguistics, Marketing, Design Studies, Building and Civil Engineering
All NSS data is available on the Unistats website
Times Higher Education - '100 Under 50' World University Ranking 2015
- 77th in the world, 10th the UK
- 11th in the world and first in Scotland, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings. This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.
View the THE 100 under 50 universities 2015 rankings
Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2016
- Overall, 38th out of 127 institutions in the UK and 5th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Chemical Engineering, General Engineering, Mechancial Engineering, Building and Art & Design
- Top in Scotland for Building, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Town & Country Planning and Landscape, and top 3 in Scotland for: Art & Design, General Engineering and German.
- Ranked 20th in the UK and 4th in Scotland for highest starting salary within six months of graduation with our graduates starting on average of £22,772.
The Complete University Guide 2016
- 37th in the UK and 4th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Building, Chemical Engineering, Town & Country Planning, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Civil Engineering.
- We are ranked in the top 25 for a further 6 subjects: Accounting & Finance, Art & Design, Business & Management Studies, Economics, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering
QS World's University Rankings 2015/16
- We rank 318th in the world, 42nd in UK and 7th in Scotland
- This places us in the top 4% of universities globally, based on approximately 10,000 universities in the world
- The University was also ranked in the world's top ten for our proportion of international students, and in the UK top ten for our proportion of international faculty.
View the QS World University Rankings 2015/16
QS Top 50 under 50 2014
A ranking of the world's top 50 universities established within the last 50 years.
- 47th in the world, 3rd in the UK and 1st in Scotland.
View the QS Top 50 under 50 2014
QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015
- Top 150 worldwide for Civil and Structural Engineering
- Top 200 worldwide for Chemical Engineering and Statistics & Operational Research
- Top 300 worldwide for Mathematics and Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Top 400 worldwide for Physics
View the QS Top University Rankings by Subject 2015