We are proud to consistently achieve across a number of key university league tables.
National Student Survey 2013
The National Student Survey (NSS) is a survey, which gathers opinions from final year undergraduates on the quality of their courses. The survey asks current students to provide honest feedback on what it has been like to study their course at their institution. In 2013, our full time Degree level students told us:
- 9 out of 10 students are satisfied overall with their experience at Heriot-Watt University.
- 90% overall satisfaction rate places us 11th in the UK* and 2nd in Scotland
- 1st in UK for Chemical Engineering for the fourth year running and also top in the UK for Chemistry
- Top 10 in the UK for: Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, European Languages, Building, Civil Engineering and Planning
- Heriot-Watt University is 1st in Scotland for 11 out of 18 subjects: Biology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, European Languages, Civil Engineering, Planning and Maths & Statistics
- Top 10 in the UK for Chemical Engineering, Building Town & Country Planning & Landscape, Food Science and Mathematics.
- Top in Scotland for Chemical Engineering, Building and Civil Engineering and top 3 in Scotland for Town & Country Planning & Landscape, Food Science, Mathematics, Iberian Languages, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, French, and Art & Design.
- Scottish University of the Year 2012/13, (and 2011/2012)
- UK University of the Year for Student Experience
- Number 9 in the UK overall
- Top 10 in the UK for Psychology, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Business Management, Civil Engineering, Textiles & Design, Mathematics and Actuarial Maths.
- Ranked 18th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland
- Top ten league table positions for Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Urban Studies, Chemical Engineering, Art & Design, Economics and Mechanical Engineering
- 63rd in the world, 10th in the UK and 2nd in Scotland
- 40th in the UK and 4th in Scotland
- Top ten in the UK for Construction Management and Chemical Engineering
- We rank 369th in the world, 42nd in UK and 7th in Scotland
- This places us in the top 4%, based on approximation of at least 10,000 universities in the world
(*) UUK Universities (ie excluding FE Colleges and specialist institutions)
Times Higher Education - World’s Most International Universities
We were placed 22nd in the world, based on the 'international outlook' indicator from THE World University Rankings.
This indicator examines a university’s international student numbers, its percentage of international staff and the proportion of its research papers published with a co-author from at least one other country.