Key facts about Heriot-Watt University
Rankings & league tables
- Scottish University of the Year 2012/13 (and 2011/12) and UK University of the Year for Student Experience 2012/13 in the Sunday Times University Guide.
- Ranked 1st in Scotland and 4th in UK universities in the 2012 National Student Survey.
- Chemical Engineering, Psychology and Urban Planning ranked 1st in the UK; Chemistry, Civil Engineering , Marketing and Mechanical Engineering ranked 2nd in the UK in the 2012 National Student Survey.
- Chemistry programme ranked 2nd in the UK and along with Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering ranked 1st in Scotland while Civil Engineering and Building/Town & Country Planning ranked second in Scotland in the 2013 Guardian University Guide.
- Mathematics and Art & Design programmes ranked 2nd in Scotland in the 2012 Independent Complete University Guide.
- In the Top 10 for graduate employment in the UK - over 94% of graduates in employment or further study within six months of graduation in the 2012 National Students Survey.
- Our 190-year history began in 1821, when we established the world's first Mechanics Institute (the School of Arts of Edinburgh). Find out about the history of Heriot-Watt.
- We have 1,737 members of staff, including 480 academic and 180 research staff. Find out about careers at Heriot-Watt.
- We offer over 400 programmes through our 6 academic schools and 2 postgraduate institutes. See our Schools & Institutes.
Our international reach
- Approximately 21,000 Heriot-Watt students studying globally. Find out about studying in your own country.
- 35% (2,742) of students on our UK campuses come from 123 countries outside the UK. Find out about studying in the UK.
- We have 149 exchange and visiting students. Find out about our exchange student and visiting student programmes.
- There are 11,400 students studying Heriot-Watt programmes through 43 approved learning partners in 35 countries around the world. See our Approved Learning Partner network.
- 7,828 students on our UK campuses, including 5,796 undergraduates and 2,032 postgraduates. See our UK student profiles.
- 2,347 students at our Dubai Campus, including 1,571 undergraduates and 776 postgraduates. See our student profiles. See our Dubai student profiles.
- The Watt Club, our alumni association, was founded in 1854 making it the oldest graduate club in the UK. The Club connects over 88,000 of our alumni.
- We have 5 campuses: 3 in the UK - Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney - 1 in Dubai and 1 in Malaysia. Find out about campus life.
- 12 halls of residence on our Edinburgh Campus, accommodating over 1,600 students. See the accommodation on our Edinburgh Campus.
- £34 million investment underway to build new residences at Edinburgh and Scottish Borders Campuses and to improve student experience. Find out about the new residences project.
- £35 million investment in the Dubai Campus will treble capacity to accommodate up to 6,000 students. Find out about the new Dubai Campus development.
- £6 million in scholarships and bursaries awarded to over 400 students each year.
- £142.6 million income and £139.9 million expenditure. See our annual review.