Our rewards & benefits
Our staff enjoy friendly on-campus communities, competitive financial rewards, and an extensive range of health, wellbeing and family benefits.
For employees working on our UK campuses the following benefts are available:
Friendly on-campus communities
You’ll find a friendly atmosphere and a collegiate environment at Heriot-Watt, a place where you can perform to the best of your ability and progress your career in a meaningful way.
We think you’ll enjoy being part of our close-knit, supportive community and find our campuses offer excellent work environments with a range of facilities and opportunities that enhance your working life.
Find out more about the facilities at our campuses:
Our employment offer includes a range of financial rewards.
- Competitive salaries on pay scales with annual increments (until the top of the pay scale is reached).
- A generous holiday entitlement of either 25 or 30 days, depending on your grade.
- An additional 10 Academic Buildings Closed Days.
- Defined benefits pension scheme, which includes a generous employer contribution.
- Free car parking.
- If you are relocating to our Edinburgh Campus, you may be eligible for removal expenses and/or resettlement allowance.
- Discounted venue hire at the conference and banqueting facilities on the Edinburgh Campus.
- Use our total rewards calculator to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
We understand that learning and development is vital to our success and, as a member of staff here, you'll enjoy a range of opportunities to develop your career.
- We offer a comprehensive career development programme.
- We operate a Staff scholarship scheme for members of staff of the University, and a Remission of Fees scheme for spouses/civil partners and children of members of staff, and retired members of staff of the University.
- Staff are free to use our extensive on-campus libraries.
As part of or commitment to improving the overall work-life balance of our staff, we offer a range of benefits to employees with families.
- Maternity pay at an enhanced rate from statutory levels for employees with over 12 months' service.
- Paternity leave at an enhanced rate from statutory levels (full pay for the first week of leave and statutory pay for the second week).
- Adoption leave at an enhanced rate from statutory levels for employees with over 12 months' service.
- Parental leave for employees with more than 12 months' service. This leave is unpaid and allows employees with a child under 5 years old to take up to 13 weeks of parental leave before the child’s 5th birthday.
- Our Childcare Voucher scheme operates as a salary sacrifice scheme allowing you to make savings on tax and national insurance contributions.
- Our purpose-built, on-campus nursery, run by Pinocchio’s, is available for children from 3 months to pre-school. You will have peace of mind knowing that you are close at hand if required.
Personal health & wellbeing
We take the wellbeing of our staff and students seriously and are continually improving the range of facilities and support available.
- Reduced rates at our extensive on-campus Centre for Sport & Exercise.
- Access to our specialised Sports Active Treatment & Rehabilitation Centre, which offers physiotherapy, sports massage, complimentary therapy and podiatry treatments, as well as access to a Sports Doctor and nutrition advice.
- Access to our on-campus Dental Practice, which cares for NHS and private patients (registration is dependent on the size of the Practice's patient list).
- Access to our on-campus Medical Centre for employees living within the catchment area. Services are provided by GPs, practice and district nurses, health visitors, midwife, psychiatric nurse and a dietician.
- Generous sick pay provision.
- We are committed to promoting healthy working lives, which has been demonstrated by achieving the Healthy Working Lives Gold Standard Award.